Technology & InternetIf Content is King – Who is Queen?

I published an article on exploreB2B about the reasons why the slogan, “content is king“ are true. When I tweeted the article, a discussion with fellow marketer, Marissa Sayno, began. She asked, “If Content is King – who is queen?“ My colleague Erin joined the discussion (@exploreB2B) and following conversation took place.

Bildschirmfoto_2012-09-06_um_16.17.37

We all came up with different suggestions for the queen:

• Intent (Marissa)
  • Constistency or re-evaluation (Erin)
  • Communication (me)

This inspired both Marissa and I to write posts addressing this very question. Marissa beat me to it (J) – you can read her take here: If Content is King – Who is Queen?“ I really enjoyed her angle, stating that all with all of this royal-talk, we seem to forget about the people or audience. I’d like to use her last sentence as an introduction to my version of the answer to the question:

“Can we all stop assigning authority figures and think of how we can serve our audience, the people, better on the social Web? -- And the queen screamed, 'Off with their heads!'“

As I see it, there is not one Queen in this royal court of social media; the King might not even be the one ruling individual. Under this model below, the Content King is subject to a whole harem of queens, without whom all of the outstanding content might not work. To really make your king (content) and efficient ruler, you have to appease at least most of these queens, too.

1. Communication

Some people still believe social media ends with finalizing published content or shouting out slogans. The truth is: If you do not communicate, connect and interact, the even best content will not take you to where you want to be. Through communication, you have the opportunity to get people interested in you - to connect and have the desire to know what you have to say. Only when you have the attention of your audience, will your King Content be heard.

1. Consistency

As social media is about building relationships, trust and a reputation in a fast moving cluttered stream of information - one piece of content or one day of interaction on one portal - is about as good as nothing. Only by constantly delivering high-quality information, regularly interacting and communicating, can you build lasting relationships and make people aware of your message.

Running in one direction on one day and the other the next day will confuse your audience (and, quite possibly, make you loose it). Be consistent (and persistent) in your actions and you will build a strong audience.

1. Intent/Purpose

In social media marketing, it is essential to keep in mind what you want to achieve and to whom you want to connect. The best content will not rule, if it is not written for an intended (target) audience. Think about the needs of your audience first. Social Media is not about what you want to tell; it relies on the consumption and sharing of what other want to know.

Along with the intent of your content strategy, each piece should have an intended place or purpose. Different types of content spread more efficiently in different online channels.

1. Utility

Content marketing is about being able to thoroughly provide for your audience. In order to provide for them, you must supply material that is useful. What did you help them learn? Which problem did you help them solve? What are they now aware if that they weren’t before encountering your content? Be helpful first and see to your own needs second. Figure out what your audience is craving and deliver it. If you manage to deliver successfully, people will not only trust you – they will actively seek your information. With useful content, you have the opportunity to inspire genuine curiosity in your audience.

1. Personality

Relationships, communication, trust and connections – they all depend on personality. You do not connect to machines; you connect to people. Personality is what makes you unique and stand out: the crown to this queen. Give your content a unique voice. Not everyone has to like you, but especially in social media, people want to talk to individuals with a pulse.

1. Strategy

If you have no strategy, you will have a hard time pursuing your goals and figuring out what went right or wrong. Without a strategy, the confusing “roads” that make up your business map will lead you to an unclear (and possibly undesirable) destination. Even a member of the royal court will get lost in the social media forest without the guidance of a strategy.

1. Re-evaluation

If you have a strategy, but your realm is still not blossoming and your people are starving – re-evalutate, adjust your strategy and try again.

There is no fixed order to the importance of the queens. As King Content cannot rule without his queens, the queens will have trouble in holding the court together without the assistance of the others.

(And what I like best about this whole royalty discussion? It is a real-time example of how to connect to new people via social media. In a non-intrusive way, Marissa and I were able to get to the heart of a relevant issue, even in a cluttered network like Twitter. After a short discussion, I suddenly had the inspiration to write a new article, a new blog to read, a person to notice for her wit, and a nice conversation to start my day with – all from just publishing and tweeting an article.)

Just in case you are interested in the article that started this „Who is Queen“ discussion, here it is: 8 Reasons Why Content is King in Social Media

Author

Susanna_gebauer_exploreb2bDr. Susanna GebauerexploreB2B GmbHGeschäftsführer, Gründer

Discussion

Daniel LyntonDaniel LyntonContext is Queen

Content is important; it must be high quality, consistent, personable, and strategic. I would argue that the items in your list are mostly "the king's men". If Content is King, I say Context is Queen. By saying this, I mean delivering your content at the right time and place, with the messaging for your audience. Get to know your readers at a personal level. The more you know about them - their job function, their company size, their industry, etc; you can being to tailor content to those audiences. With the right targeting software on your website, you can then deliver recommended content and calls to action to prospects at a very personalized level.

Context is Queen. As we become more advanced marketers, context will become the most powerful tool for converting content into sales.

This is where your your entry will appear
Daniel LyntonDaniel LyntonContext is Queen

Dr. Susanna GebauerDr. Susanna Gebauer

Thank you, Context definitely is very important: the right content, in the right place at the right time.

In my queens I see context in 3. Intent/Purpose, as in 4. Utility. But I agree that there are aspects of context not covered, so that this queen maybe does not get the credit it deserves.

Susanna

This is where your your entry will appear
Nate LongNate LongContext is Queen

I agree with Daniel. Context is queen. When, where and during what thought process does content happen? Data plays a very important role here. Relevance comes close, but it's not enough by itself. A few cases in point: Immediately after buying a new sub-woofer from a music equipment distributor, I get bombarded with ads everywhere I go for the following three days to purchase what? The same exact product I had just purchased. The data correctly showed that I had interest in the product three days ago, but incorrectly guessed I needed another one because the ad data wasn't looking dynamically at my purchase history in addition to recent interest or intent to purchase. Another example that shows a failure in context: I purchase a press release distribution package and purchase an option that allows the release to get priority approval and go out within the hour -- so clearly timing was critical. During that hour, I was emailed twice and was called twice from salespeople from the company who noticed I had purchased a product and wanted to sell more of it. Their data told them I was interested enough in their product to purchase it, but didn't tell them that now is not a good time for a sales call. Both of these companies are reputable and successful (and generate lots of revenue), which goes to show that we still have a long way to go. If Amazon, for example, can't do it perfectly, I doubt many companies can. The key will be to continue to build powerful tools that provide highly insightful data and sophisticated predictive analyses, while ensuring that intelligent humans are guiding the processes that identify the data and how it's best used.

This is where your your entry will appear
Ken RutskyKen RutskyContext Yes, But Find the "Meta-Context"

I actually think Context is KING, but I'll go a step deeper into what I mean. The biggest battle B2B Marketers face is being relevant, ie connecting the their VALUE to the prospects CONTEXT not theirs. I call this developing a compelling Viewpoint. I've blogged extensively about the 4 types of Viewpoint that align sellers Value with the customer's reality, and have built a framework to help marketers articulate these. These 4 types I call i) Brave New World ii) All Pain No Gain iii) Trendspotting and iv) The Better Mousetrap.

If you'd like to learn more, see this link: http://kenrutsky.com/standing-out-4-types-of-viewpoint-that-can-get-you-noticed/

Cheers
Ken

This is where your your entry will appear
Ron VanPeursemRon VanPeursemPromotion is Queen!

This is a great discussion, Susanna; and it's one that will remain dynamic into the future.

The best content can remain lonely and unvisited if it is not shared properly. The whole idea of "getting the right content to the right people" is implicit in each of Susanna's "queens", but I think it should be highlighted even more! Susanna, you might remember the article I wrote about the "3 Musketeers of Marketing" where we discussed this same topic. http://ronvanpeursem.com/2013/10/3-musketeers-digital-marketing/

In that article I also mention the role of SEO in terms of facilitating the discovery of good content. As a writer, I like to think of the message (content) as the honest-to-goodness KING of this whole thing. But in my more objective moments, I have to admit that Content, Social Promotion & SEO are actually all working together as partners in achieving the goal of getting the right content to the right audience for the right purposes.

Let's keep the discussion (and learning) going!

Dr. Susanna GebauerDr. Susanna Gebauer

Hi Ron,

I like your point of view and I think more and more people are experiencing just this: their king content is worth nothing without promotion as it passes by unread.

On the other hand the queen "promotion" seems to be the black sheep of the family - the one no one openly talks about and no one admits to doing it, leaving the unexperienced content marketer wondering how the big ones manage to get so much attention to their content.

You are absolutely right: We should give more credit to the queen "promotion"!

This is where your your entry will appear
Sascha Tobias von HirschfeldSascha Tobias von HirschfeldCustomer is King. Content is Queen (or Kingdom)

What do you think?

Sean JohnsonSean Johnson

Engagement is the second most important element here. If the customer is engaged then your content has proven worthwhile and effective.

This is where your your entry will appear
Mike SawyerMike SawyerAudience

Content is Queen and the Audience is the King, without the audience, there is no content. We cannot focus energy, resources or time into content that has no audience.

This is where your your entry will appear
To start a new Discussion on this article, you have to be Register for Free on exploreB2B and on the page Logged in .

Not registered yet?

Register now for free or connect Linkedin_with_en
Tracking?type=article&id=2773&ref=